My Power Rankings after Infineon. My rankings aren’t really based off of the latest race weekend but consistency throughout the last several races and who seems the strongest as of right now.
2. Carl Edwards has been strong all year no matter what track it has been. He’s been the most consistent, that probably explains why he’s currently 1st in the Sprint Cup point standings.
3. Kyle Busch has also been strong most of the year, he had a strong run going at Sonoma until Brad Keselowski and Juan Pablo Montoya decided to play bumper cars, which resulted Busch into a spin along with Montoya.
4. Denny Hamlin has also really turned the corner the last several races, aside from some bad luck. He won at Michigan and had a top 5 car at Sonoma until he ran into some problems late that killed his chances. Hamlin will be a championship contender when all said and done.
5. Jeff Gordon has had three top five finishes in his last four races, with two wins on the year. Gordon started off the season with a win early at Phoenix and really dropped off, Alan Gustafson and Jeff Gordon are starting to build some good chemistry between the two and the results show.
6. Harvick already has 3 wins on the season and has been consistently strong for most of the year. He always seems to be there at the end when it matters most.
7. Aside from Matt’s Roush Fenway teammate Carl Edwards, Kenseth has been strong all year, especially at the 1.5 mile tracks. In my opinion, Matt had the fastest car at Michigan and just came up short and had a decent finish at Sonoma where Kenseth generally really struggles.
8. Jimmie Johnson hasn’t really done much lately, but he hasn’t been running poorly by any means. Ran strong at Pocono and was in the top 10 all day at Sonoma. He’s been flying under the radar recently, I wonder how long that will last?
9. Bowyer has been running well as of late finishing 8th at Michigan and 4th at Sonoma. Richard Childress Racing hasn’t done much aside from Kevin Harvick. Paul Menard has shown some capability but has struggled for the most part. Jeff Burton is nowhere to be found this year, which really surprises me. Maybe the Menard addition has hurt the 31 team?
10. Tony Stewart doesn’t have much to show for as he sits in 12th in the standings, but I think he’s been better than that. He had possibly a winning car at Sonoma before Brian Vickers decided to get his revenge and knock Stewart out of the race. I think Stewart will get a win or two in the next four races.
11. Ryan Newman currently sits in 10th in the Point Standings. Finished 9th at Pocono and 6th at Michigan. He hasn’t been great nor consistent, but he has been in the top 10 all year.
12. Dale Earnhardt Jr., has struggled as of late but has been strong all year. Still doesn’t have a win but has been in contention to possibly win multiple races this year, he’s close to snapping that 108-race winless streak.
Topics: Brian Vickers, Carl Edwards, Clint Bowyer, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Denny Hamlin, Jeff Burton, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Matt Kenseth, Paul Menard, Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart