Word began circulating back in November 2012 of Kevin Harvick leaving Richard Childress Racing at the end of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season to drive for Stewart-Haas Racing in 2014, but neither side close to the situation would confirm or deny the rumors. Recently, though, RCR owner Richard Childress made it official by confirming that Harvick was, indeed, leaving his organization at the end of the upcoming season to join SHR.
“We had a meeting, and he told me his plans and we discussed what we were going to do in ’13,” Childress told USA Today on Monday during the Sprint Media Tour in Charlotte, N.C. “He’ll do well over there at Stewart-Haas and RCR will keep going and moving forward.”
Harvick has been behind the wheel of the No. 29 Chevrolet at Richard Childress Racing since moving to the series in the second race of the 2001 season after the death of Dale Earnhardt in that year’s season-opening Daytona 500. Earnhardt’s No. 3 was renumbered No. 29 and Harvick was promoted from RCR’s Nationwide (then-Busch) Series program. Harvick continued to race full-time in the Nationwide Series that year, claiming that series’ championship while also claiming Cup top rookie honors.
Harvick is still remaining fairly mum on his future move, claiming earlier this week that he didn’t have anything to reveal about his 2014 plans. He is still under contract with Richard Childress Racing through the end of the 2013 season, and therefore, will remain behind the wheel of the No. 29 this year.
The makeup of Stewart-Haas Racing in 2014 is still somewhat unclear, though. In 2013, the organization plans to field three full- time entries, driven by team co-owner Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman and Danica Patrick. Earlier this week, Stewart hinted that SHR may expand to four teams in 2014, but nothing was definite.
– Photo courtesy of Getty Images for NASCAR
Follow Stock Car Spin on Twitter @SCSblog or like Stock Car Spin on Facebook. Amanda’s also on Twitter @NASCARexaminer and has a fan/like page on Facebook: NASCAR Examiner