NASCAR schedule and weather outlook for Kansas Speedway


As the NASCAR Nationwide Series takes the weekend off, both the Sprint Cup Series and the Camping World Truck Series head to Kansas Speedway on the Kansas side of Kansas City for night racing, with the Truck Series running SFP 250 on Friday night and the Sprint Cup Series closing out the track racing activity for the weekend with the 5-hour Energy 400. Here’s a schedule of weekend activities, including television broadcast information (all times Eastern):

THURSDAY

2:30 – 3:30 p.m. — Truck Series practice
4 – 5:30 p.m. — Truck Series final practice

FRIDAY

Noon – 1:30 p.m. — Sprint Cup practice (FOX Sports 1)
2:30 – 3:20 p.m. — Sprint Cup final practice (FOX Sports 1)
4:40 p.m. — Truck Series pole qualifying (FOX Sports 1)
6:40 p.m. — Sprint Cup pole qualifying (FOX Sports 1)
8:30 p.m. — Truck Series race (FOX Sports 1, beginning at 8 p.m.)

SATURDAY

7:30 p.m. — Sprint Cup race (FOX, beginning at 7 p.m.)

WEEKEND WEATHER

According to the weather forecast for the Kansas City, Kan., area on weather.com, rain is a possibility, especially for the Sprint Cup Series race on Saturday night.

Friday’s forecast calls for a high temperature of 72 degrees and a low temperature of 55 degrees. There is a 10 percent chance of racing from day into night, possibly interfering with Sprint Cup practice, qualifying sessions for both series and the Truck Series race.

On Saturday, the 10 percent chance of rain continues for the daytime hours, but the chance increases to 60 percent come nighttime, with the Cup race being a nighttime event. High temperature – 84 degrees, low – 65 degrees.

There is a 90 percent chance of rain (specifically thunderstorms) for the area on Thursday, which could put a damper on The Truck Series’ practice schedule, with both practice sessions scheduled for Thursday. As far as the temperature goes, folks at the track can expect a high temperature of 76 degress, with a low of 53 degrees overnight.

In case either race is postponed to another day, here’s the forecast for Sunday: There is a 30 percent chance of isolated thunderstorms during the daytime hourse, with the chance of rain increasing to 70 percent Sunday night. Daytime high is expected to be around 79 degrees with a nighttime low of 57 degrees.

Follow Stock Car Spin on Twitter @SCSblog or like Stock Car Spin on Facebook. Amanda’s also on Twitter @NASCARexaminer and has a fan/like page on Facebook: NASCAR Examiner

Tags: Kansas Speedway NASCAR