Both the NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup series go night racing at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway this Fourth of July weekend, with the Nationwide Series running the Subway Firecracker 250 on Friday night and the Sprint Cup running the Coke Zero 400 on Saturday night. It’s the second visit to Daytona this season for both series, and is also both series’ third restrictor plate of the season. The Camping World Truck Series has the weekend off.
Here’s a look at the weekend schedule (courtesy of NASCAR.com):
Noon-2 p.m. — Nationwide Series final practice
4-5:20 p.m. — Sprint Cup Series practice (FOX Sports 1)
6:35-8 p.m. Sprint Cup final practice (FOX Sports 1)
3:10 p.m. — Nationwide Series qualifying (FOX Sports 1)
5:10 p.m. — Sprint Cup Series qualifying (FOX Sports 1)
7:30 p.m. — Nationwide Series race (ESPN2, beginning at 7 p.m.)
7:30 p.m. — Sprint Cup Series race (TNT, beginning at 6:30 p.m.)
WEATHER (courtesy of weather.com)
The weekend forecast doesn’t look good for the Daytona Beach area. There are chances of scattered thunderstorms throughout the race weekend. The highest chance comes on Friday, Nationwide Series race day and qualifying day for both series, with a 60 percent chance of storms. The chances of thunderstorms are at 40 percent both Thursday and Saturday.
As far as temperatures go, highs are expected to be around the low 90s both Thursday and Friday and in the upper 80s on Saturdays. Lows all weekend are expected to dip into the mid-70s.